Skip to main content

Recent Post

48 Hours in Quebec City

Since I moved to Canada, I have been reading about the beauty of this picturesque town. I don’t think you will find such European charm anywhere else is North America from storied past, narrow alleys, and magnificent architecture. Plus, if you are brave enough to venture out in a bit of cold (I mean very cold ~-30 ° C), you will find this place turns literally into a fairy tale castle during Christmas that you may have only seen in Disney movies. How to reach You can fly to Jean Lesage International Airport, which is approximately 30 minutes away from Old Quebec City. The other option is to drive from Montreal, which is approximately 3 hours away. We drove to Quebec City from Toronto, which is approximately 8 hours. We didn’t want to rush, so we decided to split the drive over two days. We left Toronto i...

CORINTH (Korinthos)



The first morning of the trip after getting up it was time for breakfast. We strolled around the streets at Syntagma Square. We found many bakeries finally I choose one of the bakery. It had some amazing breads, cheese rolls, puffs, sandwiches and coffee. As we finished with the breakfast drizzling also started in Athens. What a wonderful moment with drizzling rains and cold breeze touching your skin with cup of coffee in hand. Walking on the streets of Syntagma square was just amazing. A perfect start of the trip is what I can define in words. It was time now to pick up the car and hit the roads and start our journey. It is one hour to approx. one and a half-hour drive from the Syntagma square Athens. The drive was nice.

The first stop of the day was Corinth. The question that came to my mind was how it would be. As it was not a very big town of Greece, nor the typical google images of Greece like where you will witness white houses with blue tops and ocean on the side. It was a small town but to my surprise I witnessed large number of tourist over there.

(View of Corinth Canal)
The Corinth Canal is 6.4 km long and 21.3 km wide. Also called as "Isthmus of Corinth". There along the canal you will witness few cafes and tourist shops where you can sit and relax and enjoy the walk at the canal. The canal has two viewing points from where you can witness the view of the canal. One could visit both the points or you can select any one point to see the canal. I just stopped at one point as I had heard that from both the points you will witness a similar view.

If you want to experience some adventure then at this canal there is a facility of Bungee jumping you can enjoy it. However I have not experienced the bungee jumping. Once you will witness canal you will notice how it connects stretch of land that connects the Peloponnese to Attica.

(View from the restaurant)

Moving from the canal the second stop was the Ancient Corinth. It was a narrow windy and dusty road to ancient Corinth. On reaching the site one could find some good Greek restaurants with a nice view where you could enjoy lunch and put on your shoes and get ready to walk in the ancient Corinth. As soon as I reached the ancient Corinth site I got a very nice panoramic view of the city.




On entering the site you will witness the temple of Apollo. Which is the only structure that is recognizable. The rest of the site contains the ruins of the city. It’s almost impossible to identify from the ruins how would the city look like. It’s totally left on your imaginations. Still I would say that they have properly marked all the points with pictures at the ruins that show how it was actually at that time. Corinth was considered to be one of the richest ancient states of Greece.

(Temple of Apollo)

(View from Ancient Corinth)

(Ruins of Corinth)
There is a small museum within the site whose entry is included in your site ticket. In the museum you can witness some statues, mosaics, friezes, and pottery pieces that was found by the archaeologists during the excavations.
















I would recommend that you should spend at least one and a half hour at Ancient Corinth to get a feel of the Ancient city with a nice view of the city from the site.

Also Checkout:
Itinerary, Delphi, Meteora, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Ancient Olympia, Mycenae

Comments

Most Popular Post